A Short Story

Today, I took a train into the city to visit one of the museums there. The trip began before sun-up, my plan being to arrive just before the doors opened; So, my breakfast and morning intake of caffeine was minimal. After exploring one floor of artifacts, silently absorbing the art and dreams of bygone cultures, I decided to stop in the little cafe for a small cup of soup and a large one of coffee.

There was a group there, breaking for lunch in the middle of their visit, and somehow my meal ended up tacked onto their bill. We recognized the mistake immediately, but the leader of the group, concerned about the look of anxiety that flashed across the cashier's face, cheerfully agreed to cover the mistaken charge. It surprised me, and I repeatedly offered to pay him for my meal, but he wouldn't have it. All I could give was my thanks.

Now, I have made similar gestures myself on occasion, and I know others who make a sport of anonymously paying for lunch or groceries for unsuspecting little old ladies, but when that kind of benevolence is turned my way, it's like a bolt out of the blue. That one simple unexpected kindness has fueled a smile that has lasted through the rest of the day. It was a golden moment when one human being gave without a thought, without being asked, and I hope that positive action returns to him with well-deserved blessings.

Of course, I will pass the kindness along, offering a stranger what they may need at the time. I was likely to do that anyway, but this time I'll know the honor belongs to him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Felt

The Magic of Things

Say Again