Olympics Fan

If you look very closely at the photo on my profile (at the time of this post, because I might conceivably change it at some point) you might notice I'm wearing a "Chicago 2016" Olympic bid jacket. It's actually difficult to discern in the photo, but trust me, it's there. From this, you might deduce that I am

a) from the Chicago area
b) an athlete or sports fan

But, you would only be half right. I do live near enough to Chicago that it is my reference about half the time when I talk about "the city," but sports never were my thing.

There's no antipathy toward sports or athletes. The truth is, I have a certain appreciation for it all. I'll watch from time to time when my husband has the Bears game on TV, and I politely smile and watch the replays when he points out an amazing catch or cheers a touchdown. His excitement gives it weight, but it's rare when I watch any sort of sport alone.

I've come to realize that I'm just not competitive enough for sports, neither as a participant, nor a spectator. I don't care enough who wins the game. Show me a marathon, and I'm happy for all the runners, no matter their position in the pack. Show me a basketball game, and I'm more interested in the motion of the players or the trajectory of the ball than the score. When our children played hockey, I always cheered for their teams, but I was generally just happy to see them playing well and trying hard.

Even as a child myself, win or lose, it didn't matter. I was active enough. Summers were spent swimming, bike riding and climbing trees. My sisters and I were rarely seen inside during daylight hours except for brief glimpses of grubby faces and skinned knees as we dashed through the house for peanut butter sandwiches on our way to the next adventure. There were mock wars through the neighborhood and baseball games, but although scores were kept in the moment, they were all forgotten at the end of the day. The exhilaration of running was the memory that lingered when I closed my eyes at night. Soaring through the air as I leapt an obstacle or solving the puzzle of a "mission" for our battles were the things that stuck with me.

Today, though I still enjoy being active and outdoors (mostly hiking or camping these days,) I'm not one to join a race or sports game when the opportunity arises. Although I may compete in other ways, playing board games or cards, I still seem to lack the competitive fire to really excel. I have my moments, but for the most part, it's the playing that counts to me, not the winning.

Why would someone who is not a fan of sports or competition support a bid to host the most prestigious sports competition on the planet? The answer is simple. I'm a fan of mankind.

Since its beginning in ancient Greece, the Olympics have represented the best of mankind. There is, of course, the collection of athletes striving to break records in their sports, to push themselves to the heights of physical perfection a human body can reach. There are personal stories of dedication and overcoming adversity. These are all pure and golden elements of the event, worthy of our support and admiration. Most importantly, the Olympics have also been a reason for people of different nations to gather in a spirit of camaraderie. The athletes may say "I represent my country," but they also say, "We are all athletes and for this one special moment, we play together." Humankind is united however briefly, respectful of the differences, but celebrating a basic humanity.

I know petty politics have marred the games from time to time, but even so, the bulk of the participants have gone on in that united spirit. What a perfect expression of hope for mankind.

Sports and competition may not be my thing, but when the Olympic committee announces their choice this Friday, I'll be cheering for whoever wins the honor of hosting the 2016 Olympics. If we're lucky, and we've made our case, Chicago may be given the opportunity to open its arms and welcome the world for an event that brings all of us a little closer together, and that is very much my thing.

Comments

  1. Yesterday, the IOC voted and eliminated Chicago straight off. The 2016 Olympics have been awarded to Rio de Janeiro, and although I'm am disappointed for those who worked so hard to try to bring the event to Chicago, I am sincerely happy for Rio. (there's that non-competitive thing again) South America has never before hosted an Olympics, so this will be a wonderful opportunity for them. So, congratulations to the winner, and congratulations to the others, too. The Olympics, wherever they're held, are a chance for all of us to come together and renew our connections. The bid efforts in all the applicant cities have created awareness and good energy for a worthwhile event!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Felt

Significance of Numbers

The Magic of Things