Inheritance

     I had my first chest x-ray recently.  Although they found none of the heart issues the doctor was screening for, they did discover mild signs of emphysema.  My doctor assumed the damage had been done before I quit smoking and seemed unconcerned that it would get any worse.

      Only, I have never smoked.
     Not even a puff...of anything.

     So, the conclusion is that I was affected by second hand smoke, assumedly because I grew up in a house with smokers.  It's a stunning fact, especially because I haven't really spent any significant time in a smoky environment since I was 18.  That I could still be damaged by it decades later puts some weight into the arguments against smoking in public places.

     I suppose I could be angry at my parents.  Given the availability of information, they probably knew smoking was bad for you when they started.  However, the news about potential harm in second hand smoke didn't start reaching people until they were both addicted.  Both have reduced or quit the habit at this point.  My dad, who will be on oxygen the rest of his life because of the damage to his lungs, is down to a cigarette "now and then."  My mom quit completely when she saw what it had done to my dad.  She's feeling much healthier, but still lives in a small appartment with a smoker, so will probably never be completely out of that cloud.

     It does no good to be angry.  I haven't even mentioned it to my parents because I don't want them to feel bad about it.  The damage is what it is.  Not getting any better if it hasn't all these years.  Not getting any worse as long as I avoid smoke-filled rooms.  What can be done is to tell my story as a warning and urge any smokers out there to consider the consequences.  I know it's hard to quit.  I've seen relatives and friends trying and failing, and struggling, and quitting and restarting until they might finally make it stick.  It's worth the effort, for yourself and the people around you.  Quitting won't erase all the damage smoking has done, but it's that one small step in the right direction that may save you and the ones you love lots of suffering in the future.

Comments

  1. Cheryl,
    I am truly sorry about your bad news, but truly appreciative of your honest sharing as a warning to others. My Mom died in her late 50's of cardiac arrest, three years after a mild heart attack. The Doc told her that if she'd stop smoking, she had a much higher chance of great recovery. She decided that the stress of quitting was harder on her health than smoking. Oh, these tough realities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, there are so many stories like these. It's not an easy habit to break.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Felt

The Magic of Things

Say Again