Breaking Habits

     Human beings are creatures of habit.  So are other creatures, as far as I have observed, but since most of the creatures who read this blog are humans, I'll focus on that angle.  We all develop routines.  We do things in the same way or at the same time over and over, day in and day out.  The patterns repeat without interference from our brains, and that's the point.  When you've worked out the mundane stuff and you can just follow the routine, your mind is free to work on more interesting things.

     Even someone like me who appreciates random surprises will fall into habitual patterns.  I still wake up at the same time each morning.  It doesn't matter if it's a weekend or vacation except that on those days, I may get to roll over and take an immediate nap.  The internal alarm clock still rings at 6 each day.  Each morning, I follow the same steps to get ready for the day.  I drive the same route to work and park in the same spot.  Then, the second pattern starts and carries me through the tasks of my work day.  It's comfortable.  It works, and it's not really boring because I don't have to think about it.  There are plenty of other little challenges to offer some variety.  Habits are only the backdrop our lives are staged against.

     Though our habits may be mindless and insignificant, when something upsets that comfortable pattern, we can feel a little unstable.  It doesn't need to be a big change.  Something as benign as a construction detour can jar you into thinking about your choices again.  There's nothing wrong with routine, but diverging from the usual path can be a blessing in disguise.  You might see something you couldn't along your regular route.  Doing something out of the ordinary, either by choice or circumstance, can open up a new possibility.  If nothing else, it signals your brain that things are not going to be the same as yesterday.  That in turn may inspire you to make sure that they aren't.

     Change tends to make people uneasy, in part because they must focus some of their spare mental powers on coping with the differences.  While I might be adaptable in many situations, I still get irritated by pointless last-minute changes to existing plans, especially if there are expectations or people depending on me.  Still, I sense that there could be growth in occasional changes to the routine.  We all generally prefer spontaneity on our own terms; So why not take the breaking of habits into our own hands?  Why not make a habit of breaking habits.

     Maybe once in a while, I'll park in a different spot.  Maybe, I'll sit on a different side of the couch or choose tea instead of coffee.  Maybe I'll dig down to the bottom of the drawer and wear something I generally pass up.  The nature of the change is unimportant.  The purpose is forcing an awakening, and anyone can benefit from shaking things up occasionally.  Sometimes the best way to really see the world starts by challenging yourself with one broken habit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Felt

The Magic of Things

Practical Positivity