What Other Kids Do

Apologies, first of all, because this post is not as constructed as I generally offer.  It's more or less off the top of my head, but the topic is one I've been thinking about lately, and I wanted to record those thoughts despite my lack of free quiet time over the past few weeks.

     The general rule with social interaction is that you avoid speaking of religion or politics.  It's usually a wise rule because these are two areas people feel passionately about, and those who give the subjects that weight are frequently unwilling to listen to opposite opinions.  Yet, because they concern the things we believe, and because they are that important to us,  I think we may be missing out on opportunities to enrich ourselves when we choose to avoid those conflicts.  I tend to stick with the rule except when I'm with people I know are open to honest exploration.  But here, I guess you can always opt to stop reading if you don't agree, so I'm going to venture into that territory anyway.  The intention, of course, is not to offend.

     I tend to avoid both organized religion and organized politics.  Partly, this is because of my reserved and polite strategy mentioned above.  You're bound to run into conflicts of ideas with organized groups of believers.  Beneath that, I have a profound uneasiness about organizations like that.  Any time a person gives up thinking for themselves in favour of ritual or dictates from "authority", there is a discomforting potential for abuse.  This is not to say that all members of an organized religion or political party are deluded, manipulated, or dangerous.  Far from it.  I've also seen a lot of good done by such organizations.  I'm only wary of that potential for ideals to be twisted and dark things to be the result.  You don't need more than a quick look at history to see that played out.
   
     My own spiritual and political leanings are less organized, but no less deep.  With a pagan outlook, I'm not required to believe other religions are wrong.  I only know what's right for me, and celebrate the diversity of opinion in others.  As for politics, my philosophy is simple.  I stand with whoever values human rights and has respect for freedom.  I support those who care for fellow citizens, who see the function of government as serving the people, and strive for fairness.  That tends to put me in the liberal camp, but I figure I'm in good company.  In my opinion, the majority of the world's most respected holy men throughout history would have been soundly on that side of the line also.  I can't buy the idea that those on the conservative side are all evil monsters, as zealots might argue.  I can't buy most of what zealot's argue, regardless of their stance.  We're all human, and our opinions are formed by all sorts of circumstances that others may not see.  This is all a matter of belief, and as such, that pagan outlook applies here too.

     The reason I'm chiming in here is to try to inject a little reason into an argument I've heard a lot of lately.  Specifically, the condemnation of Obama's apology for the burning of copies of the Quran in Afghanistan recently.  Several notable individuals have raged over this gesture, asking why the US should apologize when troops have been killed in retaliation for the burning.  It's been discussed on talk shows and in living rooms and meeting places of all sorts.  Anger is the rule, as it is in most of the divisive discourse that dominates politics and religion these days.  To me, the correct course in the matter was obvious, and Obama made the absolutely right decision.  There is no question.

     When you realize you have offended or hurt someone, you apologize.  You apologize for the wrong, whether you intended it or not.  You apologize regardless of the response of the one who was offended.  It is the only right thing to do.  While I agree the Taliban response was horrific and inexcusable, it has no bearing at all on our duty to own our offense.  This is a simple principle most of us were taught in childhood.  It doesn't matter what the other kids are doing, you still choose the honorable path.  You can't withhold kindness because others are unkind.

     Many of the most vitriol-laden arguments I hear on this have come from those who claim to have the moral high ground, but it's hard to believe they are reacting with the ideals of their faith.  They use others' cruelty as justification for throwing away those inconvenient ideals, and berating the ones who see that compassion is not to be compromised.  The burning of holy books, regardless of intent, was hurtful to many more people than just the zealots who reacted with violence.  An apology was necessary, and as the voice for our people, Obama was the right one to offer it.  I, for one, am glad he had the courage to do the right thing despite what all the other kids do.  His mother taught him well.

  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Felt

Significance of Numbers

The Magic of Things