Snowbound, part two (the pictorial)



For details of my attempt at camping in arctic temperatures, see the previous post. If you want the quick version, with pictures, this is the place.


Arriving at White Pines Forest State Park. The fords on the regular road are dangerous this time of year, so the ranger directed me to this alternate entry.













I had my pick of campsites, but had to carry my gear a bit from where the car was parked. After struggling with setting up in the bitter cold, my tent was finally ready!




Only a few pictures of the scenery before my camera battery froze to death...




























At night, the temperature dropped too low to sleep safely, so I gave up and went to a motel. Even with the heater on high and my husband's special Bears blanket, the motel room was as chilly as a tent in autumn.


Day two found me suited up and back at the campsite





doing camp stuff.




Don't be fooled by the sunshine, it didn't really go past about 15 degrees in the warmest part of the day. This is Chet, my guardian angel, wondering why we came.

















Still, I followed a trail up onto a ridge and got some more shots of the area.













I left the human trail and followed a well-traveled animal track until it ended in a point, high over the creek. Unable to continue (without sliding down the slope into the icy water,) I turned back and explored other trails.




















The park may be known for its pines, but the oaks are nice, too.







Here are a few smaller examples of the natural beauty I found.




When I had explored all the trails I could reach at White Pines, I went to nearby Lowden State Park for the view atop the 250ft. cliff overlooking the Rock River...
and the 50ft concrete indian now known as "Black Hawk".
I could actually see "Black Hawk" from my motel parking lot, but he looks a lot better close up.
I would definitely like to come back when I thaw out a little.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Felt

The Magic of Things

Practical Positivity