Early Mother's Day

We call her "Mother Nature" because despite the occasional antagonistic philosophies that have popped up throughout history, most people recognize Her motherly qualities. On an instinctual level, we know that this is where we're from, not what we've made. She nourishes and teaches. She loves all her children equally. She can be strict, for certain. You're never too old to be "spanked" if you're disrespectful or ignore what she's telling you. But, for one who has spent a lifetime in close contact with Her, there's no denying the motherly aspect. Like a family, we are all sprung from this parent and all bound together through Her, too.

Growing up as I did, in an isolated community by the lake and, before that, at the edge of the woods, I came to know Mother Nature well. She taught me, fed me, let me climb in Her trees and swim in Her waters. You don't forget the ones who raised you. They weave their pattern into your life. So, wherever I go, I am Her daughter. Technology may be cool, but home is green and it breathes.

This weekend, I've been visiting Mom. Since I now live in a larger town than I did in my childhood (still not a city, by far,) I often get the urge to reconnect with the natural world. Fortunately, there is a state park fairly close, and I can drop by for a walk in the woods now and then. When I have a rare weekend that's free of obligations, it's the perfect place for a quick camping trip.

Every mother likes a visit from her children, and welcomes her children with open arms. I have been treated to fresh air, budding leaves, frog serenades, and visits from brother raccoons. There is time and quiet to think and write in the tent at night, and I'm able to hike the trails in the early morning when you're more likely to encounter a deer than a jogger (which I did, along with a turkey, and an abundance of other birds, squirrels and chipmunks.) Times like these are refreshing, centering. The simplicity and wonder are reminders of how, as mentioned in the last post, I am a small part of something awesome. It's like coming home to family.

Last week, I was talking to a ranger who told me that state funding for parks was diminishing here. I suspect it's happening everywhere in this economic downturn. Park staff is being pared down, camping fee rises are being contemplated, and some of the parks here had to close for a month last year because they couldn't afford to operate as normal.

Our Mother is tough and independent. I don't think for a moment that she needs our tending to maintain Her vitality, but there is still cause for concern. We need to make sure our park lands and wild places are preserved, and that there is no temptation to sell them off for development. We need to maintain them and keep them open for the public because feeling that connection to nature enhances our connection with each other. Society benefits from time spent with Mother Nature, and for a large portion of the population, that means time spent in public parks and forest preserves.

So, please think of your wild spaces, state or national parks, county lands and forest preserves. Donate, volunteer, vote, do whatever you can to protect them and keep them open to all. Pick up litter you encounter on hikes, and teach your children to respect nature by not littering or allowing them to litter. Foster a love of nature in yourself and your children and
Visit your Mother.

Comments

  1. This is a lovely tribute to our mother earth! Hopefully we can make her proud. Have a great day, Cielle :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Felt

The Magic of Things

Practical Positivity