Made with _ _ _ _

Many a cook has claimed their food tastes better because it was cooked with love. A product from my kitchen is as likely to have been cooked with another four letter word - or several. Oh, there's love, too, but for me the struggle and swearing are part of the process.

My father was an ex marine and a truck driver. He was a fisherman in his free time and an often belligerent alcoholic; so, it's really a wonder that I'm allowed in polite company at all. His bad example helped to demonstrate that there's a time and a place to exercise my vocabulary, and as a result, only a few people could guess the extent of it. Even as a teen, I was always amused when guys I hung out with would apologize for the occasional slip. Apparently, my image, built up from being a reader and a good student, a relatively wise and responsible child, put me in the category with mothers, teachers and librarians. I was a delicate creature who would be easily shocked by rude language. In truth, you would have to be pretty creative to come up with something I hadn't heard or said myself. I just knew when to be quiet.

Clearly, kitchen time is not quiet time for me. Though I did well enough keeping these magic words a secret while our kids were small, now that they're grown, those barriers are all down. Curses and threats fly. Random expletives entertain those waiting to see what gastronomic surprises will emerge.

You would think that my belief in positivity would keep me from tainting my culinary offerings this way. It stands to reason the energy you put into your creations would be the energy others take from it. But there is the secret. Swearing at your food doesn't have to be negative, and for me, it really isn't. There is no malice in the words I use to season my cooking adventures. There is no anger or resentment motivating each utterance. In fact, the exchange (and here, I assume the ingredients, pans and utensils are responding in kind) is almost friendly in tone. It's all part of the game.

Cooking is play, and like most of the things I do for fun, I like it best when there's some challenge to it. I like to try new things, spring off the usual into something I've never done before. Recipes are only guidelines when I use them at all, and I can't resist tinkering with them on the first time out. There's satisfaction in wrestling each problem to the ground, in digging out solutions to new challenges, and accomplishing something I've never tried before. If that struggle produces a little censor-tempting fallout, it's more a measure of enthusiasm than anger.

There is still care and concentration in everything that comes out of my kitchen. I still focus on the unique nature of each ingredient and the meaning of each process. There is joy in the task and in the wrestling match with each new challenge. There may not be perfection in everything I produce, but you can bet I had fun doing it and that the love has been mixed with a few good natured curses to improve the flavour.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Felt

Practical Positivity

The Magic of Things